Markku Wilenius is professor of Futures Studies at Turku School of Economics. He also holds the UNESCO Chair in Learning Society and Futures of Education. He has worked over 20 years with Futures Studies.
His latest research program is the future of cities and communities in which he is developing tools and method to understand the long-term development of urban areas. He is also chairing the vision committee of Turku, second most important urban area in Finland.
He is the president of two foundations. He has also worked with Allianz, world largest private insurer, leading their strategic research and development. He is a member of Club of Rome and has led Finnish delegation in Johannesburg Sustainable Development Summit. He has published books and articles widely. His most recent book is born out of his interest on long-term socio-economic waves and is called “Patterns of the Future. Understanding the Next 40 Years of Global Change” (World Scientific, London, 2017).
- May 2016– UNESCO Chair in Learning Society and Futures of Education. UNESCO/University of Turku.
- Nov 2014– Professor of Futures Research, Finland Futures Research Centre, Turku School of Economics/University of Turku.
- Jan 2004–Aug 2012 Professor of Futures Research, Finland Futures Research Centre, Turku School of Economics/University of Turku.
- Dec 2007–Dec 2008 Director, Strategic research, Allianz SE.
- Dec 2009, Jan 2009–Nov 2009 Director, Trend Assessment & Strategy Unit, Allianz SE.
- Jan 2011 Senior Advisor, Allianz SE.
Other Research and Development Projects
- Dec 2016–Dec 2020: Co‑director of Bioeconomy and Justice research project. Academy of Finland.
- Jan 2015– ongoing. Director of the project Bastu, Sixth Wave Entrepreneurship. Sitra and University of Turku.
- Jan 2015–Dec 2016: Director of the project “Human Being and Value in the Sixth Wave (HUVA). How to transfer best practices of the new digital businesses into industrial companies. Funded by TEKES, National Technology Agency of Finland.
- Dec 2011–Dec 2013: Director of the project “6th Wave and Systemic Innovations for Finland: Success Factors for the Years 2010–2050 (6th Wave)”, funded by TEKES, National Technology Agency of Finland Jan 2011–June 2011. Senior researcher of the project “X-‑events” funded by various national and international entities.
- Aug 2010–March 2011: Evaluator of Finland’s Strategic Climate and Energy Policy, Office of Prime Minister, Finland.
Awards and Honorariums
- International Aurelio Peccei Prize by L’eta Verde organisation, based in Rome, 2001.
- Emerald Literary Network: The most outstanding article of the year, 2009.
- Lauri Jäntti Foundation: Award for notable non-fiction book of the year 2015.
More information: http://markkuwilenius.fi
Picture: Hanna Oksanen, University of Turku